Beginner and Continuing
Registration for our Fall classes is open!
Beginner and Continuing Tapestry Weaving with Brenda Osborn
This eight-week class will offer students of all levels some important tapestry weaving techniques that will enhance their abilities to design and weave a tapestry of their own creation.
Instructor: Brenda Osborn
Location: Hartford Artisans Weaving Center, 42 Woodland Street Hartford
Dates: Wednesdays September 13, 2023-November 8, 2023
Time: 10:00am-2:00pm each Wednesday
Note: All weaving classes are held on our lower level classroom which is only accessible by stairs.
First-time students will learn these techniques:
1. Learning to weave in opposing sheds.
2. Weaving small shapes and noting the difference in tension required to weave shapes that are small vs. big.
3. Weaving angles. The nature of weaving is a grid, and weaving angles must make use of the grid by maneuvering the high and lows of the weft threads to create an angle that suits your intention.
4. Weaving circles—like weaving angles, but more involved.
5. Weaving with hachures, or ‘hatches,’ for blending colors and shading.
6. “Taking a line for a walk.” This exercise will make use of all the techniques covered in class.
Note: First time students will benefit from having some basic weaving experience on either a rigid heddle loom, or a shaft loom, but it is not required.
Class Fee: $380. Includes a $50 materials fee includes a Copper frame loom and cotton seine twine for warp (all yours to keep).
Supplies to bring: Scissors, measuring tape, tapestry bobbins and various fine wools for weft. Fine wools are best because we can blend them to get the proper size for weft.
With Brenda's instruction, students who have already taken this class will focus on designing and weaving a small tapestry.
Class Fee: $315
Supplies to bring: Copper frame loom, cotton seine twine for warp, scissors, measuring tape, tapestry bobbins and various fine wools for weft. Fine wools are best because we can blend them to get the proper size for weft.
Additional Registration Information as of July 6, 2023
Check payment is due within 2 weeks of your registration to secure your spot.
Refunds and Class Cancellations:
The Weaving Center reserves the right to cancel a class at any time. Should we do so, students will receive a full refund.
Registered Students: Please notify the Weaving Center as soon as possible if there is a need to cancel your registration. -
- If there is a waiting list and the spot can be filled, a 3% processing fee will be deducted from the total refund.
- If a spot cannot be filled, no refund will be offered.
No-shows forfeit any refund.
Please review our current COVID updates at https://www.weavingcenter.org/covidupdate